Jesse East was born in Chesham in 1873, into a family of woodenware manufacturers, his father Frederick had a factory in Townsend Road, Chesham and his grandfather Ebenezer made wooden objects as well as running the Three Tuns Inn, on White Hill. Jesse married local girl Florence Priest in 1900 and at that time was working in the woodenware industry, and living at 31 Townsend Road. The 1901 census shows him as a wooden hoop maker, living with his in-laws, Samuel & Mary Priest, at the Black Horse in Waterside, and when Samuel died in 1904 Jesse became the landlord, and is listed as such on the 1911 Census.
Jesse and Flo moved to Amersham about 1922 and had a shop below their dwelling at 9 Sycamore Road, Jesse tried his hand at selling many different things in the shop, from 1924-1931 it was a sweet shop, but by 1935 it was an art and needlework shop. Kelly's directory for 1941 shows Jesse was selling baby linens.
Jesse was a member of the Amersham Brotherhood and enjoyed playing Bowls and won the Amersham Bowling Club Cup aged 77.
While on holiday in Eastbourne in September 1952 Jesse collapsed and died, he left behind his wife Flo who died in 1959, three sons Frank, Ted & Sydney and daughter Ethel. Ted was the founder of East Buildings Supplies, and Ethel married Alan Marshall, whose father Gilbert had a chain of local garages. In the 1960's Ethel ran the M & M Coffee House & Restaurant, Woodside Road, Amersham, along with her daughter Mary and daughter-in-law Carole.